Sunday, January 25, 2009

Strategy in Comedy

I was watching a couple of comedic strips the other day and I was impressed by them both. However, one comedic strip stayed with me more than the other. I watched one by Brian Regan and another by Bill Cosby. Although I really enjoyed Brian Regan's comedy, I nearly died from Bill Cosby's comedic strip. I wondered why and I decided it had something to do with strategy. Brian Regan tells each joke and each joke leads into another one. However, they don't necessarily correlate to make an entire story. Bill Cosby (or at least the video that I watched) told basically one story for almost two hours. I realized that Bill Cosby was a much better comedian because he told a story that everyone could relate to, he had perfect comedic timing, and kept to one basic theme which makes his comedy that much more memorable. Bill Cosby made his comedy unforgettable and easy to remember since it was all relating to one theme. I felt that Bill Cosby made his comedy inimitable. He created a powerful differentiation among his fellow competitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment