Saturday, January 31, 2009
Wal-Mart without crowds
So, after a revealing class about Wal-Mart and its strategy, I found my visit to Wal-Mart especially interesting. In class, I enjoyed the discussion about the cultural dislike of Wal-Mart and the opposing facts (its success). Ever since I arrived in Provo, I've hated going to Wal-Mart and yet it's the best place to go for one-stop shopping. So, I've largely avoided the place when I could. Why do I hate Wal-Mart here? The crowds. I'm strangely claustrophobic in crowds and there is nothing more annoying than Wal-Mart crowds because they're so greedy, impatient, and pushy. Ugh, it makes me cringe just thinking about it. Well, so after an interesting conversation in class, I actually took one of my few trips a year to Wal-Mart. However, this time I strangely enjoyed it. I loved walking around and finding the things I need or want. I was able to see why Wal-Mart is enjoyed by so many people... or at least tolerated. Wal-Mart is cost competitive and has many products available at one store. However, I believe the crowds are a deterrant at least for me. I went this morning at a time when most people are waking up, and I was therefore able to enjoy and clearly see why Wal-Mart is so popular. Wal-Mart has an amazing strategy. It is felt and seen every day. Wal-Mart effectively pushes out competition by making it seem (and I certainly don't see many alternatives) as the only place to go to get low-cost products in one place. I don't see how other companies will be able to keep up or surpass Wal-Mart until Wal-Mart falters. However, if Wal-Mart continues to make strategic improvements, I think it will be hard pressed for any company to overcome them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment