Sunday, February 22, 2009

Costco

So, my friend decided to finally give in and buy a Costco card. It's probably a wise choice, but I find Costco very useless to my needs. I don't eat enough food to buy in bulk, so there are very few things I can get there. But apparently guys can get away with buying things at Costco, or maybe they've just found a smarter way to use the food... like freezing it. Either way, until I have a family I will probably avoid Costco. But while I was there, since I took my friend, I saw a sign that said, "48% of Costco members are executive." It's probably a true statistic but I laughed because I could see what they were trying to do. They're executive card is obviously the most expensive, but I got to thinking, you know if 48% of their members were just the normal club member, they wouldn't post that. They only post that statistic because it helps people go with the higher priced membership as well. Anyway, as we're walking around Costco, I realize that just because things are in bulk does not mean that they are lower priced. I found some things that would be cheaper in a grocery store. I wonder if people are careful about that or do they just assume because it is in bulk it's cheaper? Either way, Costco has done a very good job luring in those deal-seekers and yet I'm surprised that it still offers a reasonable amount of service. For example, I could ask an employee where something was and they were generally correct, and for some reason that was surprising... maybe cause I've had a few too many horrible experiences at Wal-Mart. So, reasonable service and good deals is apparently Costco's strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment