Saturday, March 14, 2009

Influencer

I went to a seminar put on by the author of Crucial Conversations and the Influencer. It was a very interesting workshop in which we were shown examples of good influencers and how they did it. I was thinking through this that being a good influencer in the world of business is probably one of the most important skills we can learn. I was especially thinking of Monday's lecture in which we had to tell our friends why we chose a certain growth strategy over another. If I had been a good influencer I would have been able to show and explain why one strategy was better than the other. I would have had more success in gaining support from those around me. Being a good influencer doesn't mean that you control their decisions, but that you help them see the benefits and costs more clearly of accepting a certain way of doing things, and why one way is better. I believe in order to be a good strategist and entrepreneur, you need the support of all those around you and that support will increase the likelihood of success of the strategy. Success in business strategy I think is directly correlated to your influence.

No comments:

Post a Comment